EXCURSION 4: Fattoria Cornieto – Perugia – Assisi – Spello – Fattoria Cornieto – Km 130.
Once you leave Cornieto farm and reached the main road, turn right, continuing to Monteleone d’Orvieto and follow the signs for Perugia (about 40 Km). The historical city center is reachable preferably “on foot”, so it is recommended to leave the car in the designated parking, in particular the Piazza d’Armi (Monument to Garibaldi) from where a system of escalators, crossing the underground parts of the “Rocca Paolina”, comes directly in the city center, at the beginning of Corso Vannucci. After a pleasant stroll along the course, visit the “Cathedral” with the front “Fontana Maggiore” and the “Palazzo dei Priori” and the adjacent “Sala dei Notari”. For a complete tour of the city of Perugia is good idea to have a guide that includes a description of Assisi.
Leaving Perugia and following the directions to Assisi you get to the city of St. Francis where everything seems to tell the life of the saint: the mystical breath of the city becomes intensely lyrical in the extraordinary story that Giotto painted frescoes in the church dedicated to him. Following in his footsteps S.Chiara instituted the female equivalent of the Franciscan Assisi helping to make a religious center of international fame today. The Basilica of Assisi is constituted of two churches superimposed on each other: the upper church, in which there are frescoes by Giotto and Cimabue, has a square outside the churchyard which is a grassy, and the lower church contains frescoes Pietro Lorenzetti and Simone Martini, generates outside area connected by a monumental staircase punctuated by arches of the porch. The Basilica of St. Clare (1257 – 1265), whose facade has a similar approach to the Upper Basilica of St. Francis, is made with white and pink limestone that give it a special light, the crucifix is kept within according to tradition, he spoke to St. Francis. To return to the Farm Cornieto, follow the signs for Perugia, once embarked on the highway exit “Madonna Alta” continuing to Città della Pieve and then to Monteleone d’Orvieto.